Anglian league result – B Team v Leicestershire

Sunday 5th Sept saw the last Anglian League match of the season and the B Team were at home against Leicestershire & Rutland at Newmarket.

A number of players had been moved around due to injuries or non-availability so the team had a new look with a number of younger players. This included 16-year-old Harry McDonnell who had arrived at the course intending to caddy. Fortunately, he had brought his clubs with him as he was required to step in as a replacement only 20 minutes before the first tee time.

Richard Southall and Will McKernon led out in the first match and quickly went 3 down but they kept their nerve and had reversed the score after the 6th hole. They then maintained the pace and finished with a win 2 and 1.

The second pairing of Dan Knight and George Whitehall took an early lead early on and stayed in control to win 4 and 3. Matt Hartley and Owen Meeds had a shaky start and could not settle during the first few holes resulting in going 3 down. Patience was rewarded in this game which finished with a good half point.

The last pairing of Jack Roe and Harry McDonnell started well and looked in control however a loss of confidence around the turn caused a few worries before they regained their steady play and fought through to a 1 up win.

Altogether a strong performance in the morning with a lead of three and a half points to a half point lead. Richard Southall led off the afternoon singles and immediately had trouble finding his best game. Similar things were happening also to Owen Meeds, Dan Knight in fact after about 9 holes not one CAGU player was up in their match. With only 3 points need for a team win there was no sign whatsoever as to how these would be achieved. Needless to say, the CAGU Deputy President was becoming extremely nervous despite the reassurance from Jack Roe who said “don’t worry I will get you a point” when he was still down in his match after 11 holes.

He first three players were unable to get back into a winning way but it was Jack Roe who kept his promise – fighting up the 18 th hole to gain a 1 up win. Will McKernon had spent much of the round struggling and was looking in a worrying position but he kept trying to the last and eventually gaining half a point.

Matt Hartley tried valiantly to the end but was beaten 1 down. George Whitehall was another player who had struggled for most of the round before a late burst took him to a 2 and 1 win. Last man on the course was Harry McDonnell playing the Leicestershire Captain, and CAGU needed half a point for the win from his game. The situation was tense with Harry 1 up after 16. We need not have worried, he played 17 to perfection to secure a win 2 and 1 – the winning point.

The younger players all acquitted themselves very well. They all had tight matches but stayed patient and never gave up and it is they who scored all the points for the win. Without doubt Harry McDonnell had the day of his life. He arrived at the course as a caddy, was drafted in for his first ever men’s match, won his morning foursomes then secured the winning point with a singles win over the Leicestershire Captain. What a day!!!